Jasmine’s Law: Andrew Rosindell MP seeks to limit ‘no pets’ policies for renters It is brilliant news that Andrew Rosindell MP has taken the time to push a bill through to end pet discrimination with rental properties. In London we need more dog friendly accommodation, particularly landlords who will consider more than 1 dog. Some landlords will only accept cats. Only 15% of London landlords offer pet friendly housing.
Only 10% of London Landlords allow pets. Nearly 50% of the UK Population have pets. Tenants with pets stay longer, are responsible, which means less void periods for Landlords. By opening your doors to pets, you are attracting a huge 'pool of tenants' which is only growing.
- Before you allow pets into your property, unless you own a freehold property, please make sure that pets are allowed.
- If you own a leasehold property it is important to check the terms of your lease do not have any ‘no-pet’ clauses and that as a private Landlord, you are allowed to let to tenants with pets at your own discretion.
- The UK has now more cats & dogs than children!
- The UK has a dog population alone of 9m! 45% of the population has a pet. Forecast to be 50% within 5 years
- In the next 10 years approximately 25% of people aged between 20-40 years old will buy a house, which means more pet owners will need a London pet-friendly rental
- If you don’t consider pets, you will lose out to local competition